While there are a lot of therapists offering their services, finding someone you like can take a lot of effort, especially if you have never seen a therapist before. Here are some of the more important issues you should consider when picking a new therapist:
- Is the therapist licensed? Each province is responsible for making sure therapists are competent to provide their services. Only those with proper training receive a license.
- If you have health insurance, will it cover the therapy from this provider?
- Are there limits to the number of sessions covered by your insurance?
A good website for locating psychologists and psychotherapists is Psychology Today. Another way is to ask friends or your family doctor to suggest someone they trust. While it is not too difficult to find the names of therapists in your area through these means, it may take more time and effort to find a therapist that you consider to be a good fit for you. Here are some helpful tips:
- Call the therapist’s office to find out if the therapist you are interested in is familiar with evidence-based treatments in their practice that is best suited to address your concerns. Ask whether the therapist has had experience in dealing with your specific concerns. Find out, if possible, how much experience they have. Many therapists offer afree consultation call that you can book prior to your first appointment in order to discuss these issues.
- Find out in advance what the fees are, the charge for missed appointments and how long the therapy might take.
- Find out where the therapist is located and what hours are available for your treatment.
- Find out what kind of therapy your potential therapist is likely to provide (for example, individual or group therapy, virtual or in-person therapy) and see if that fits your expectations.
- Remember that choosing a therapist is a very personal matter. There is no one therapist that is a good fit for everyone. It is important that you feel a sense of trust and that this therapist can help you.
After you have gathered all of this information, or as much as you have been able to obtain, give yourself a little time to think about all this. You may want to set up initial appointments with one or two potential therapists and see how comfortable you are with them. Take the time to find the right therapist for you.
The Toronto Neurofeedback and Psychotherapy Centre offers psychotherapy services with several qualified practitioners. Click here to book a free consultation today!